It's a ripper to be a Rainbow Bay Nipper!
Rainbow Bay SLSC Nipper program runs Mid September – Mid March and is held on a Sunday morning between 8:30am-10:30am followed by a family BBQ.
Nippers is a junior program that introduces children aged 5 to 13 to surf lifesaving. It is a fun outdoors activity that grows a child’s confidence and teaches valuable life skills and knowledge.
Here at Rainbow Bay SLSC we encourage not only our kids to be involved but also their parents. It is a healthy, active way to bond with your children and also help out your local community. We have experienced, accredited age managers who will educate your child on the progressive awards each child earns each season.
Rainbow Bay SLSC is actively growing our competitive section with great coaches and training sessions to improve your children’s surf and beach skills (competitive age starts with under 8’s). Rainbow Bay provides a proactive, family friendly environment. We look forward to helping your children hone their beach and water skills and encourage parents to join in and help shape this safe, beautiful beach.
Rainbow Bay SLSC Nipper Sign On
Thanks for all the support!
New dates for the Rainbow Bay SLSC Nipper Program will be posted here.
Watch this space!
What age group will I be in?
The absolute minimum age for a child to join the organisation and partake in Junior Activities is 5 years old (U6), up to a maximum of 13 years (U14) on a seasonal basis.
The age for a season is determined as at midnight on 30 September at the commencement of that season. E.g. A child turns 11 years old before 30 September of that season; that child will be registered in the U12 age group for that season. If a child turns 11 years old after the 30 September of that season, that child will be registered in the U11 age group for that season
What you need to bring
- Bring ID with proof of age
- Pool swim Form signed
- Pink rashie
- Club Cap
Improve your board and water skills
Training will continue on Wednesday’s for Nippers from Under 8’s up. All welcome. Training will start at the Surf Club at 4.00pm Qld time for sign on then to Jack Evans Boat Harbour for board and water skills training.
All Club Members can join in. SRC and Bronze Award Members also welcome or water safety or just a paddle.
See you all next Wednesday at 4pm Qld time.
Here are some websites with some more information.
Pool Proficiency Required
It is essential that Nippers have completed their pool proficiencies before they participate in any nipper activities on the beach. The criteria for the proficiencies are as follows:
- Under 6’s Kick on wall with face in water and 30 second float
- Under 7’s Torpedo (push off wall) with face in water and 30 second float
- Under 8’s 25 metre freestyle swim and 1 minute survival float
- Under 9’s 50 metre freestyle swim and 1 minute survival float
- Under 10’s 50 metre freestyle swim and 1.5 minute survival float
- Under 11’s 100 metre freestyle swim and 2 minute survival float
- Under 12’s 200 metre freestyle swim and 2 minute survival float
- Under 13’s 300 metre freestyle swim and 3 minute survival float
- Under 14 – 400 metre swim, (freestyle, in less than 9 minutes), 3 minute survival float – for competitor
- Under 14 – 200 metre swim (freestyle in less than 5 minutes), 3 minute survival float – for NON competitors. Surf Rescue Certificate
There are additional competency tests required to be conducted on the beach and these will take place at the beginning of the season. The requirements are set out in the table below. We will try to complete the proficiency assessments within the first two weeks of the start of the season.
- Under 8 – Surf Aware 1 Run-Wade-Run – 25m-25m-25m
- Under 9 – Surf Aware 2 Run-Swim-Run- 50m-50m-50m
- Under 10 – Surf Safe 1 Run-Swim-Run – 50m-50m-50m
- Under 11 – Surf Safe 2 Run-Swim-Run – 50m-100m-50m
- Under 12 – Surf Smart 1 Run-Swim-Run -50m-100m-50m
- Under 13 – Surf Smart 2 Run-Swim-Run – 100m-100m-100m & Basic Resuscitation
- Under 14 – Run-Swim-Run -100m-100m-100m & Surf Rescue Certificate
For children to be eligible to compete at carnivals they must have completed the Competition Evaluation assessment set out below by an eligible assessor (which the Club will provide). These are only to be completed by those wishing to compete in carnivals. U8 to U14
- Under 8 – Run-Wade-Run – 25m-25m-25m
- Under 9 – Minimum 150m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
- Under 10 – Minimum 150m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
- Under 11 – Minimum 288m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
- Under 12 – Minimum 288m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
- Under 13 – Minimum 288m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
- Under 14 -Minimum 288m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
Club age championship points
1st = 3points
2nd = 2points
3rd = 1point
You will also receive 1 point for every nippers day you ATTEND including carnivals or water safety if applicable.
Age championships will be run in a carnival format which means kids will be asked to complete all events correctly and in a timely manner.
Disqualifications will occur if required and at no stage are competitor to receive any outside assistants when competing.