It's a ripper to be a Rainbow Bay Nipper!
Rainbow Bay SLSC Nipper program runs Mid September – Mid March. Held every Sunday 8:30am-10:30am (weather permitting) followed by a family fundraising sausage sizzle.
Nippers is a junior program that introduces children aged 5 to 13 to surf lifesaving. It is a fun outdoors activity that grows children’s confidence and teaches valuable life skills and knowledge within a safe environment supported by our team of qualified volunteers.
Here at Rainbow Bay SLSC we encourage not only our nipper kids, but also their families’ to be involved. Whether helping setting up/packing down beach activities to filling water bottles to flipping some sausages, all help is appreciated. It is a healthy, active way to bond with your children all whilst supporting the local Rainbow Bay community. We have experienced, accredited age managers who will educate your child on the progressive awards each child earns during the season.
Rainbow Bay SLSC is actively growing our competitive section with first class coaches and additional training sessions available to improve surf and beach skills (competitive age starts with under 8’s). Rainbow Bay SLSC provides a proactive, family friendly environment. We look forward to helping your children hone their beach and water skills, and encourage parents to join in.
Nippers is the pathway to Surf Life Saving and Rainbow Bay SLSC will guide your family in a fun, safe environment…all whilst being on the best beach on the coast; RAINBOW BAY!.
Rainbow Bay SLSC Nippers 2020/2021
ITS A RIPPER TO BE A RAINBOW BAY NIPPER!
Nipper Sessions run Sunday 8:30-10:30am (QLD) – Rainbow Bay SLSC
BEACH PROFICIENCY: 20th, 27th September and 3rd October – Rainbow Bay
OFFICIAL SEASON STARTS: 12th October 2020. (Age group point system starts)
SIGN ON DAYS: Rainbow Bay SLSC accept registrations throughout the season. Note that there are minimum attendance requirements to obtain Age Surf Certificates, please check with the club (email@example.com).
What age group will I be in?
The minimum age for a child to join Junior Activities is 5 years old (U6), up to a maximum of 13 years (U14) on a seasonal basis.
The age for a season is determined as at midnight on 30 September at the commencement of that season. E.g. A child turns 11 years old before 30 September of that season; that child will be registered in the U12 age group for that season. If a child turns 11 years old after the 30 September of that season, that child will be registered in the U11 age group for that season.
What you need to bring
- Bring ID with proof of age
- Pool swim form signed
- Pink Rashie
- Club Cap
- Water Bottle
- Sunscreen (apply before sign on)
Improve your board and water skills
Training sessions during the season on Wednesdays are for Nippers Under 8’s and up. Training sessions commence 4.00pm (QLD) at the Surf Club. Sign on, with board and water skills training.
All Club Members can participate; including SRC, Bronze Award Members, additional qualified Water Safety personnel are always welcome!
Pool Proficiency Required
It is essential that Nippers have completed their pool proficiency before they participate in any nipper activities on the beach. The criteria for the proficiency are as follows:
- Under 6’s Kick on wall with face in water and 30 second float
- Under 7’s Torpedo (push off wall) with face in water and 30 second float
- Under 8’s 25 metre freestyle swim and 1 minute survival float
- Under 9’s 50 metre freestyle swim and 1 minute survival float
- Under 10’s 50 metre freestyle swim and 1.5 minute survival float
- Under 11’s 100 metre freestyle swim and 2 minute survival float
- Under 12’s 200 metre freestyle swim and 2 minute survival float
- Under 13’s 300 metre freestyle swim and 3 minute survival float
- Under 14 – 400 metre swim, (freestyle, in less than 9 minutes), 3 minute survival float – for competitor
- Under 14 – 200 metre swim (freestyle in less than 5 minutes), 3 minute survival float – for NON competitors. Surf Rescue Certificate
There are additional competency tests required to be conducted on the beach and these will take place at the beginning of the season. The requirements are set out in the table below. We will try to complete the proficiency assessments within the first few weeks of the start of the season.
- Under 8 – Surf Aware 1 Run-Wade-Run – 25m-25m-25m
- Under 9 – Surf Aware 2 Run-Swim-Run- 50m-50m-50m
- Under 10 – Surf Safe 1 Run-Swim-Run – 50m-50m-50m
- Under 11 – Surf Safe 2 Run-Swim-Run – 50m-100m-50m
- Under 12 – Surf Smart 1 Run-Swim-Run -50m-100m-50m
- Under 13 – Surf Smart 2 Run-Swim-Run – 100m-100m-100m & Basic Resuscitation
- Under 14 – Run-Swim-Run -100m-100m-100m & Surf Rescue Certificate
For children to be eligible to compete at carnivals they must have completed the Competition Evaluation assessment set out below by an eligible assessor (which the Club will provide). These are only to be completed by those wishing to compete in carnivals. U8 to U14
- Under 8 – Run-Wade-Run – 25m-25m-25m
- Under 9 – Minimum 150m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
- Under 10 – Minimum 150m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
- Under 11 – Minimum 288m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
- Under 12 – Minimum 288m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
- Under 13 – Minimum 288m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
- Under 14 -Minimum 288m open water swim (competition course distance as per competition manual)
Club Age Championship points
1st = 3points
2nd = 2points
3rd = 1point
You will also receive 1 point for every nippers day you attend, including carnivals or water safety if applicable.
Age championships will be run in a carnival format; All Nippers will be asked to complete all events correctly and in a timely manner.
Disqualifications can occur, and at no stage are competitors to receive any outside assistance when competing.
Age Group Age Managers will act as officials during Club Championship days (or Parents nominated by Age Managers). Age Managers have final call in placings.